The first floor of the Cecil H. Green Library will be renovated and renamed Hohbach Hall, offering improved access to curators, historians and materials that document the creation and continuing evolution of Silicon Valley.Harold Hohbach, who passed away in 2017, was a patent law attorney and real estate developer. A great admirer of Silicon Valley inventors and an innovator himself, Hohbach had long aspired to create a space to challenge and inspire the leaders and entrepreneurs of the future. When he learned about the vast collection and research arm of Stanford’s Silicon Valley Archives, Hohbach made a commitment to fund the renovations of Hohbach Hall and sustain the program’s efforts to capture the evolving history of the region and its contributors. “Harold had deep respect for the inventors he worked with during his 50 years as a patent attorney,” said Marilyn Hohbach. “It was important to Harold that the drive and passion of entrepreneurially minded students be encouraged and the accomplishments of the Silicon Valley inventors that came before not be forgotten. He saw the opportunities for the materials from the Silicon Valley Archives and his paintings to become educational tools that would inspire students to reflect and seek solutions for issues we face today and in the future.”
“It is a unique archive in the sense that it is very much a living archive,” said Henry Lowood, who helped establish the Silicon Valley Archives and who will assume the curatorship named for Harold C. Hohbach. “As we assemble an archive of materials from Silicon Valley’s past, we are also actively developing new approaches to archival documentation that will chronicle the region as it is today and will be in the future.”
The gift from the Hohbach Foundation, according to Lowood, will transform the Silicon Valley Archives “from a well-used storehouse of information into a nerve center for research, study, conversation, collaboration and learning.”The Hohbach gift comes as the libraries celebrate the 100th anniversary of the opening of the expanded main library building. Jane Stanford’s decision to erect a new “grand library” just outside the Main Quadrangle was a conscious effort to attract the best and the brightest to Stanford as the university was establishing itself among its peers. The original library building she designed collapsed during the 1906 earthquake, but her notion of creating a location for knowledge communities to gather and explore took root. A new main library was opened in 1919 at its current location.“The ability of the Hohbach family to look past today and invest in our ability to offer future students and scholars new ways to engage with the library through archives and collections will stimulate the research engine beyond what we can imagine now,” said Michael Keller, university librarian and vice provost for teaching and learning. “Our loyal supporters make it possible for the libraries to both address the current scholarly needs of our users and anticipate how students and faculty will use our library system well into the future. Hohbach Hall will be a prime example of these realizations.” Promising new cognitive and behavioral therapies are helping patients manage and even cure PTSD without drugs, Debra Kaysen explains on this episode of The Future of Everything. He added, “Hohbach Hall will offer one of the most complete and active research collections on Silicon Valley history. Students, scholars and society all benefit when academic libraries have the ability to develop research tools, curate and organize growing amounts of content and data, and evolve their facilities and systems to improve access and delivery of information.” The spaces will allow staff to curate and display, in physical and digital forms, documents, photographs, equipment and ephemera from some of Silicon Valley’s largest companies. Hohbach had commissioned nine original oil paintings to celebrate the ingenuity that powers Silicon Valley; these paintings have been donated to Stanford and will hang in Hohbach Hall on a rotating schedule.
Since opening in 1983, the Silicon Valley Archives has supported a wide array of research projects, including partnering with economic historians to understand the technological drivers of economic growth and supporting historians of science as they pieced together the development of key ideas and technologies. Some of this research mapped cluster effects and patterns of growth in Silicon Valley by business scholars. Stanford’s Silicon Valley Archives has also supported media artists and documentary filmmakers who have sought to interpret and document the origins, spread and impact of technologies on the American and global societies.President Marc Tessier-Lavigne noted the significance of the Hohbach gift as the university and its libraries look to the future needs of students and faculty.The Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education classifies UT Dallas as an R1 Institution: a classification reserved for doctoral institutions with the highest research activity.The Texas Legislature passes HB 42, authorizing UT Dallas to enroll freshmen and sophomore students. Enrollment is limited to 2,000 entering freshmen, and lower division enrollment cannot exceed 5,000 students. Dr. David Daniel is appointed fourth president of UT Dallas. Under his leadership, UTD triples its research expenditures, adds 40 new degree programs, raises $210 million in private funds, and initiated or completed $600 million in construction of new buildings and infrastructure. Eugene McDermott, J. Erik Jonsson, and Cecil Green establish Geophysical Services Inc., the corporation that will become Texas Instruments Inc. (TI) in 1951. The Dallas-based technology company is a top manufacturer of semiconductors and integrated circuits globally.The first phase of the Campus Landscape Enhancement Project begins. The project, paid for by Margaret McDermott, includes the planting of 6,000 trees, a small amphitheater and road renovations. UTD appoints Dr. Franklyn Jenifer as its third president. During his tenure, enrollment increases 61 percent. Major new facilities are constructed, including the School of Management, the Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science, and the Callier Center for Communication Disorders. Dr. Denise C. Park establishes the Center for Vital Longevity, a center dedicated to researching and understanding the aging brain, memory, cognitive aging and Alzheimer’s disease.
Dr. Polykarp Kusch becomes the first Nobel laureate on the UT Dallas faculty in 1972. UT Dallas adds Nobel laureates Dr. Alan G. MacDiarmid and Dr. Russell A. Hulse to its staff over the years.After a competition to find a new mascot, UT Dallas decides on Temoc, “Comet” spelled backward. Alumnus Aaron Aryanpur designs Temoc, an orange-haired, blue-skinned Comet, who frequents events across campus from freshmen orientation to chess matches.
A trust created by Lena E. Callier (above) is used to establish the Callier Hearing and Speech Center, a community-based nonprofit housed at Parkland Hospital. In 1975, the Callier Center for Communication Disorders joins UT Dallas; it opens a second location in 2003 and expands in 2016.After a year of construction, the Founders Building opens its doors to a crowd of onlookers. Co-founders Erik Jonsson, Eugene McDermott and Cecil Green attend, and Jonsson speaks to the crowd. In honor of this extraordinary moment, Comets celebrate Founders Day every Oct. 29.UT Dallas achieves the critical benchmark criteria required to qualify for funding from the National Research University Fund, an exclusive source of research support available to the state’s emerging research universities.Since its establishment in 1996, the chess team has won the “Final Four of College Chess” four times, won the Pan American Intercollegiate Chess Championship, and made history by playing Instituto Superior de Cultura Física in the first US-Cuba chess match in 50 years.
Green served as vice president (1941–1951), president (1951–1955) and chairman of GSI (1955–1959). He also served as vice president and director of Texas Instruments and in 1976 was named honorary director of the company. He was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1970. In 1978, he was given the inaugural Maurice Ewing Medal of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists, its highest award. In 1979 Green and his wife were awarded the Public Welfare Medal from the National Academy of Sciences. In 1985, Green received the Golden Plate Award of the American Academy of Achievement.